Sunday 22 January 2012

Friday, January 20th, 2012

A Couple

Mississauga, Ontario

Rajeev and Ajita are a professional business couple who were curious about everything Krishna. After a great North Indian meal, Rajeev asked the question about the eastern concepts coming to the west in the 60's. He was keen to know about the history, the Age of Aquarius, and the humble beginnings of a tiny man, a sadhu (a swami) who drew the attention of beatniks and hippies.

I tried my best to provide an overview.

Then Ajita, his wife, asked about the proof, the reality of God. "We've been told, but how can we be sure."

"The best way to be sure is to apply. Factor Him in and then see that the equation fits. Answers come and fulfillment is reached. Not all things are comprehended by our limitations. More can be understood through feeling and hearing. The first thing the swami of the 60's, Srila Prabhupada, the Hare Krishna guru, recommended was principles. He offered discipline coupled with having a good time. When we clear the cobwebs of our mind we become a clear channel for receiving Him. We agree to be a servant and to feel the joy of serving and loving Krishna. Instead of so much philosophizing, it's best to just do it."

Ajita laughed and said that was the slogan of Nike.

"Ah yes, their mantra."

Questions kept coming from Rajeev and Ajita. It was good but my backside was sore. I began shifting uncomfortably. The couple has offered me the prime seat in their home, an one hundred year old antique chair, an actual hardwood Rajasthani bench taken from a bullock cart. It was chic. I stood up.

"Any chair loses its coziness after a while. The only relaxing pose for the human body is a changing one - walking." (Laughter)

Our conversation with the couple and two other families of the area terminated at the witches hour. Rajeev and Ajita have a 15 year old son (a wiz kid I'd speculate), who had returned from his extra curriculum activity - assembling a robot.

Robots! Well, all I can say about them is "if they ever infiltrate I'll never have one do my walking for me."

4 Km

No comments: