Wednesday 30 November 2011

Wednesday, November 30th, 2011

What To Do With A Kali Yuga Man?

Toronto, Ontario

Yogendra, 24, is another one of our monks from Halifax spending some time here. He and I had taken to a wet walk north on Yonge when we met a soul who is really struggling, messed up I'd say. He came up to us smelling like a brewery and began his rambling. He said, "..." , well, I can't repeat. It's not very monk like what was coming out of his mouth. We tried to detour by crossing the street because he kept to our pace and anything we would say would not calm him. He was too far gone. He was big bodied and his demeanour was 'aggressive'. Successfully and eventually we got rid of him. We saw him harassing others as well.

I was reminded of a Zen sarcasm remark. "Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

Yogendra and I left our foul mouthed friend who stopped traffic to spout out more 'stuff'. He created a 'jam' and the honking began. This poor soul caught up to us later. He was carrying a half female mannequin (from waist down) in his arms trying to offer it. At least he was in the mode of giving. Merry Christmas!

When returning to the temple ashram I reflected for a moment on our (Kali Yuga) man feeling a pint of compassion. I was compelled, however, to look up a few more (possibly related to our encounter) sayings of Zen sarcasm. I already gave number 1.

2) Always remember that you're unique. Just like everyone.

3) Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

4) Some days you're the bug; some days you're the windshield.

5) Everyone seems normal until you get to know them.

6) Generally speaking, you aren't learning much when your lips are moving.

7) Never miss a good chance to shut up.

To our friend, well, I hope I'll meet him again at a more sober moment when I can share a joke or two and then give him some 'sock it to me' wisdom from the Gita.

8 Km

No comments: