Sunday 27 November 2011

Thursday, November 24th, 2011

Love Thy....

Toronto, Ontario

It's like we knew each other in a former life. This tall fellow, in his 60s, walking his German Sheppard, is someone I've bumped into for at least twenty years. He's an artist, does pencil portraits, is well read and is as regulated with walking that dog of his that it puts my regularity to shame. Every time we see each other its a chat. Funny thing is we never bother to ask each other our names. It's as if no intro is needed. It's always good to keep in touch and 'to love thy neighbour.'

I was informed that Surya (the sun) was being eclipsed around the time of interacting with the artist friend. The sky was overcast and carried a spooky aspect.

In any event, down the ravine I go near Chorley Park, down Milkman's Lane. Maintenance on this trail has not been much to be desired but recently funds were raised to address erosion problems and I can see now that this favourite route for Rosedale folks has a chance.

My chanting was persistant along with the trekking and intermittently between the words Hare Krishna or Rama I would leak out a "Hello!" or "Good evening!" or "Hi!" to the brave mud treaders in the ravine as skies became increasingly darker at this new moon timing. Again "love thy neighbour." The trek was at a retarded speed because of pinching sensations in the lower back. The cause? Too much air travel, I believe. But I walk to survive. Working those lower back muscles (and even sweat) will sustain me until it's time to stop all together. These bodies, this machinery, is not permanent, you know.

Finally, before I enter the temple ashram, I pass by the Prabhupada tree, a gorgeous and hopeful sprawling maple, designated in honour of our guru. All but few leaves have bit the dust, or at least have fallen to the wet grass below. This special tree planted about fourteen months ago, will see its second winter. I guess you could say that it's our new kid on the block. It's now our neighbour. We love thy neighbour. " Human or not.

11 Km

No comments: