Thursday 17 November 2011

Wednesday, November 16th, 2011

I Like to See

Toronto, Ontario

My regular walking companion is Praveen. I am so fortunate to have someone like him. I chalk out the route which is usually a rather spontaneous meander. When a new person is invited to join us he/she can't figure out where we're going. It can be a kind of maze. It's a different route each day. What is consistent is our mantra: "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare."

Today we took to a park called Rosehill Reservoir and then through residential areas. I appreciated the quiet nature of these places. It is inevitable to hit traffic though. I'm peaceful but for one thing. I resent the carbon monoxide just like I resent having to take in the fumes of a cigarette. My rebellious mind wants to argue and say, "There are such strict stipulations on where smoking is prohibited. Why can this not apply to automobiles? Why does my health have to be compromised by your greed, Mr. or Mrs. Motorist?"

I asked someone today, "What kind of world are we leaving the next generation, one that where we will gag at every breath because of people's laziness of body or people's brains lacking the intelligence to come up with innovations on clean mobilization?"

I hear horror stories about traffic in places like Manila, Mexico and Delhi regarding pushing people out of their freeness to walk safely. How is traffic emissions any less harmful than trafficking drugs? I would give preference to horse and donkey emissions than to the foulness we toss in the air from our automobiles.

As you can see, my resentment is strong but for a reason. I like to see a better world- a world increased in cleanliness and in spirituality.

7 Km

No comments: