Thursday 1 September 2016

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016

Wednesday, August 17th, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

I Want to Give

I pondered the activities of the few days since I’ve come back from the U.S. walk.  I looked at the catching-up that had to be done.  I followed the program which begins at 4 a.m. in the ashram and appreciated the great privilege that it is.  I answered phone calls, tended to e-mails, Instagram, etc. and  planned a drama for next week’s major fest, Krishna’s Birthday.  I sat in a meeting for brain-storming, did some counselling, pep talks, and delivered classes.

What was missing?  What was not included in the life of a responsible Krishna monk?

“Of course!”  I thought.  An idea popped into the head.  “Hari Nama is what is amiss!!”

Hari Nama” is the short term for public chanting.  It was an easy sell for the few ashram residents around.  It appears it is not on the regular schedule for some reason or another.

Our small group of six meandered through the Annex neighbourhood, headed for destination Bloor Street, a block from the Bata Shoe Museum.  A patch of grass that forms a serene parkette became our asana (seat).  Once we got to drumming and chanting, we realized what had been vacant from our daily regimen.  It is this sharing of sacred sound that gives us life.

Not so long ago my Irish friend, Pragosh, told me about one of his favourite songs by Neil Young, born in this grand town, Toronto. “Heart of Gold.”  Interpret the lyrics as you like.  The song begins with, “ I want to live/I want to give.”

May the Source be with you!

5 km



No comments: