Wednesday 3 February 2016

Wednesday, January 27th 2016

Wednesday, January 27th 2016
Georgetown, Guyana

A Mention of Jonestown

I’ve had discussions with Damodara Swami on the 9/11 conspiracy case.  Yes, monks do have opinions.  This morning though, we did harbour on the topic on what makes a community healthy in spirit.  We simply endorsed what the experts say on the subject- along the lines of common vision- teamwork, integrity, and so on.

The flight to Guyana was short – one hour.  As the plane came closer to the land, while making its descent, I remarked to the passenger next to me as we both peered out the window, “Look at the endless amount of trees, rainforest.” Then he was responsive, saying something about a community of the past.

He said, “When I see this (the inland forest) I think of Jim Jones and his Jonestown, and the disaster.”

“Yes I remember that.  Not a healthy situation,” I responded.

I was garlanded and greeted by a group of Guyanese followers once we landed.  Bless their souls.  It was also some of those souls that accompanied me to the seawall at Georgetown for a much needed walk.

Wet-ness was splashing from the waves, crashing against the wall, but more so was the moistness derived from within the body.  The sweat was good.

One great quote that came to me today: “Darkness cannot put out darkness.  Only light can do that.  Hate cannot cancel out hate, only love will do.”

May the Source be with you!

9 km

No comments: