Wednesday 17 February 2016

Wednesday, February 10th, 2016

Wednesday, February 10th, 2016
Toronto, Ontario

A Source of Happiness

I did considerable soft-pounding on the snowy forest-trail.  The images before me were leafless trees that reveal more bark than anything outside of their height and width.  Millions of footprints, both human and canine, are hard to distinguish unless close-up.  You see, it is all one soft and wonderful white surface before you.  It is something that bears its own beauty.

I had gone solo on the late afternoon period.  It allowed for some low-volume chanting and brisk walking.  I couldn’t say that I missed traffic as I relished the time in the ravine.  And I can admit that spotting that low blue spruce bush struck my fancy.  Clumps of the white stuff clung to its needled branches.  Only browned brittle leaves fallen from deciduous trees remained trapped in an interspersed.  It’s actually gorgeous.

For some people a two hour foot-journey in the nippy cold would be an austerity.  For me, I thrive on this kind of thing.  It’s voluntary and not even sacrifice.

So for as sacrifice is concerned I like something I read from the Gita today which should
possibly ring as truth to the ears of many.  Bhagavad-gita 4:31 “O best of the Kuru Dynasty, without sacrifice one can never live happily on this planet or in this life: what then of the next?” Happiness is something we all chose to have.  It doesn’t always come naturally.  You do have to make some endeavour.

May the Source be with you!

7 km

No comments: