Friday 19 December 2014

Wednesday, December 10th, 2014

Vancouver, British Columbia

Dancing (Walking) Monk

Time and rain were two hurdles to a meaningful footwalk session.  I did manage to use more body parts than just the feet and legs, however.  At a yoga studio, “Yoga on 7th”, I was more or less introduced as the Dancing Monk.

It started off by a group of us sitting down to some mrdanga drum lessons by Vyasa.  Then vocalist/harmoniumist by the name of Anand gave voice lessons.   Part three of the evening program consisted of my introducing dance steps to the chanting and drumming.  We kept the moves ‘folk-like’, clean and for the most part, we moved in a circular fashion and all the while chanted simultaneously. 

It was great getting off our butts, so to speak, and engaging in what is generally amiss in many current day kirtans where people tend to just sit.  In the words of one of my peers, Lokanath Swami, a monk from India, “To make the kirtan complete, you dance.” 

I do hope the kirtan people of the world catch on. 

Now, there was one other beautiful element to the day which had less to do with dance.   Sitting before senior residents of the Earl Haig Residence, I spoke of my walking escapades before dance lessons at “Yoga on 7th”.  These mature people in their grand 70’s, 80’s and maybe 90’s took to chairs in the rec room to hear of my pilgrimages.  They had questions.  I answered. 

What a bunch of sweetie-pies they are!

May the Source be with you!

Maybe 2 -3 KM worth of footwork in the form of dance. 

No comments: