Tuesday 2 December 2014

Thursday, November 20th, 2014

Toronto/Houston

Man With a Light Heart


“What’s this?” asked the tall service man in a most jovial tone.  He was gesturing at my vestments as he was about to handle my luggage for the drop off at the airport terminal. 

“I’m a monk,” I said.

“Buddhist?”

“No, Krishna.”

“Do you teach fighting?” he went on with keen interest.

“Our order gets more involved in teaching music, teaching, singing, chanting, like that.”

“Oh, you mean all that peaceful stuff.  I go for those monks that fly in the air, come down crashing and then flattening someone.”

I joined in on his facetious way, appreciating that he loved his work and life.  I let him know that I was truly sorry to disappoint him.  I relayed that I do pilgrim work, occasionally fly (by United Airlines this time) and hopefully come down for a soft landing.  I offered him a mantra card, which when recited, the chant can take you places. 

The man gladly hoisted my two hefty pieces of luggage, one by one, onto the conveyor, gave a nod and outstretched his arm for the next person about to go through security.  The brief encounter with the happy uniformed man showed me how you should treat life – lightheartedly.   

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: