Monday 14 September 2009

Thursday, September 10th, 2009

I Don’t Mean to Be….

Toronto, Ontario


“I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be disrespectful, “ is the common mantra I hear from people, sober or not.

Right now TIFF is on, Toronto International Film Festival., one of the largest of its kind in the world. It’s busy! Most of the action is three blocks from the temple on Yorkville St. People describe the event as glamorous. I was strolling there to counter jet-lag and accidentally bumped into it. Someone yelled, “Hey!”

I turned around, “he’s talking to me,” I thought. It’s some guy in spiffy clothes and he wants to talk. “I’m sorry, I don’t mean to be disrespectful….(he paused) but what do you represent?”

It has become such a familiar phrase, “I’m sorry……respectful,” It demonstrates common courtesy. It’s particularly what I hear in North America. I’m not always proud of, rather embarrassed, of my fellow country-men for the self centered culture that we live in. But these kind of sensitive remarks redeem them (for me).

I turned a corner after a chat with that chap and three young men walk by immersed in dialogue. My ear caught what the middle one was saying, “There is only one God. People all honour the same God right?” I had to question what I heard for a moment. But my hearing didn’t deceive me that is what he said.

Finally two fellows who were immersed in lovingly swearing at each other caught a glimpse of my saffron cloth. They started to follow me then at the stop light began to speak. “if you don’t mind my asking, are you like that guy who’s a monk doing these martial arts in the movies?” He was struggling to stand straight making a sincere effort despite having drinks on his breath. “I mean no disrespect”, he said.

We conversed more. I give him credit for asking and the credit for feigning sobriety trying to show discipline. In his own way he’s trying to make a little advancement on the path of spirituality.

5 Km

No comments: