Wednesday 2 September 2009

Saturday, August 29th, 2009

Hibiscus Festival

Suva, Fiji Island

One person with a medical background reminded me of something the Chinese say, “The only disease is congestion and the only cure is circulation.” Having to tackle 30 to 40km a day on feet allows me to feel a free movement of things internally and includes the bowels, of course. Since completing the walking of the country of Fiji I know I can’t get complacent and take to relaxation. Taking part in Suva’s Hibiscus Parade will help to see the walking momentum continue. And if it wasn’t the parade you just have to keep motivated.

As an annual event the Hare Krishna Society partake in the event with float and chanters precede. Of the 750,000 Fijian population close to one fifth of them attend this largest of their events. I took the opportunity to rehearse with the youths, boys and girls, on a structured march and chant before embarking on the task of publicly leading the chant. The volunteer marchers and chanters from the community were bubbling over with enthusiasm and onlookers viewed us with great interest. Next to me was Daniel, our only Fijian native who really got a lot of the stares. I guess I did too being practically the only white dude in the parade. The event was broadcast on TV when they announced that the monk walking the island indulge in the chanting float.

I thought we did well considering we had only an hours practice before the event. However, there are a number of tips we could adhere to in the future for the best performance. Primarily, focus would be the main aim in this regard on a sense of real attentiveness.

Isn’t that what we must always apply in regards to everything we do?

5 Km

No comments: