Saturday 15 August 2009

Wednesday, August 12th, 2009

Which Guru?

Toronto, Ontario

For our morning class in the temple we discussed the various types of gurus that exsist in the world. Take for example the many elements or objects in nature that we can learn from such as the loyalty we learn from the dog. From the vedic texts like the Gita and the Bhagavatam and adjoining texts we take the guidance from the lotus flower, the ocean, the turtle, a steady flame, the wind in the sky, the tree, the grass, the bee etc.

I asked the listeners to choose one of these natural gurus and try to take and emulate one of these gurus for the day. One of the individuals didn’t quite get the question and expressed that he would try to be like a monkey. I referred to the previous verse from the Bhagavatam wherein the word “monkey” does come up in reference to the addictive materialistic person who jumps around from tree to tree branch checking out each of his many girl friends. There was some laughter.


I’m sure we could find some quality in the actions or behaviours of the monkey if we really dig. For some aspects of the wilderness it is easy enough to conjure up a quality in a thing. For others it is more difficult. The sacred texts do not identify the quality of a mosquito for instance and in search of my inner recesses I’ve not been able to find one lodge support for the pesky creature other than provide food for song birds or dragonflies.

In any event those who attended the class made a deliberate effort to amplify their choice guru for the day. The only thing missing was that I forgot to identify with one being the facilitator. I guess I’ll have to catch up with everyone else.

For tomorrow Krishna’s birthday I’ll try to exemplify the quality of the tree-tolerance. Yes! That’s the one. It will be all day fast so I will tolerate the urges of hunger. I’ll walk down the ravine which in mosquito infested and take on some tolerance.

5 Km

No comments: