Tuesday 4 August 2009

Saturday, August 1st, 2009

Like A Grape
Toronto, Ontario

I sometimes feel like a grape that’s been part of a cluster who wants to drop from the group for a while. The evening function was an appreciation dinner arranged for organizers of this year’s festival of Chariots. It went well. The association of people was sweet, the food was great. After a hectic day and evening I needed to wind down and leave the company of people. The thank-you’s had gone out, I felt I did my job giving my time out of duty and love. So I left walking for a bit with a no- sour grapes attitude.

On Davenport road I planted myself under a tree to chant my evening mantras (gayatri) when David, 31, spotted me and pointed, “I know you!”. Out of respect for him I temporarily ceased chanting my mantras and tried to remember him. “I’m the Grinch”, he said.

“Of course, I remember you, you were dressed as the Grinch who stole Christmas at Yonge and Dundas a year and a half ago.”

David had dressed himself up as the Dr. Seus character and went to the busy intersection moving to the recorded music, “You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch…..”. He gave up that character and now makes money as a golden cowboy. He also remarked how our local monk Yajna does phenomenal, selling books on spirituality – books that people didn’t necessarily anticipate to buy. “He’s good at what he does. The muslims try to give away free literature and the Christians try to give away free bibles but your guy sells 50 books a day on the street. Like WOW!”

“Yes, He’s good”, I said.

Before I could get back to my gayatri mantra I realized David really relished our long talk which included him expressing that he and his buddy friend had dreamed of walking the whole country some day.

“It take six months Dave. If you want any tips I’ll agree to be your road guru. Any advice and I’ll give guidance. Of course the best way to undertake such a task is to chant while walking. “

David appreciated the advice and finally agreed we should terminate the talk. I went back to my gayatri feeling like the sweetest grape ready to go back to the ashram to join the cluster.

6 KM

No comments: