Monday 31 August 2009

Sunday, August 23rd, 2009

Day one in Fiji

Suva, Fiji

I’ve got the Pacific close to me. I’ve got a great climate. I’ve got three congenial walking companions. The road winds a bit. Mountains are in the background. My health is super. What more do you want?
The local “hello” address is “Bula” with U sounding like the two o’s in “ooze”. When you say this to someone and give a wide sweep of the hand you’ll get a remarkable response back.

People in Fiji are out and about. Not everyone has a car which works to their advantage. People look healthy. There is this marvellous green wild vegetable called ota, totally organic which comes from the fern family and resembles the North American fiddle-head. It’s delicious and is harvested by the natives. Incidentally, many of the men wear skirts called Sulu which measures down to just below the knee looking something like a short longhi. I was told before the European came it was all grass skirts for the guys in the old times.

Geraldine from the Fiji Times came out with a photographer to do a short story of my Fijian cross country walk. I guess her visit makes it official. My theme here is “walking for oneness”. It may have some connotation of the social statement considering the recent coup, but really; My intention is a spiritual one. “Let’s walk! Let’s go on a pilgrimage! We are all one as spiritual beings”

I also got invited to the Suva temple programme. A rather large congregation came to participate. They didn’t know that I would give them a lesson in devotional dance steps. Quite frankly everyone seems to know how to walk but not everyone knows how to “break-a-leg” and dance.

24 Km

No comments: