Tuesday 27 October 2020

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Brampton, Ontario

 

To Where the Land is Flat

 

Stephen drove me to Brampton, to an expansive recreation park called Sesquicentennial. There is not a more flat expense of parkland that I’ve seen, except for Saskatchewan. The place is green, clean and all who visit are in jeans, which is a slight exaggeration when it comes to attire. Brampton, in general could easily be mistaken for a suburb of New Delhi, just cleaner. The reason I say this about the place is that the whole area is rather dominated by people mostly from North India.

 

Stephen and I met up with Savyasacin to plan out and practice for our drama “Rolling the Dice.” In the process people in pants and sometimes turbans, would stop to see what we were up to. It’s my clothes, which are a shade dull to the bright orange pumpkins lined up at nearby “Longo’s” grocery store, which drew attention.

 

One gentleman, a senior, most likely from Punjab, took an interest. With little English in his realm and little Punjabi in our experience Stephen, a Jamaican Canadian, myself, Dutch Canadian and Savy, Guyanese Canadian, all looked like a sample of a Canadian landscape.

 

The man asked, “Hindi?”

 

“Nahin!” I said, “Sorry.”

 

“India?” He asked, to which we tried to explain that we were working on a drama from the epic The Mahabharat.

 

Our practice was good. It is a contemporary approach to the gambling story. We are glad to come upon this nice flat surfaced park.

 

Incidentally my limp is lessening, thanks to the physiotherapy I’m doing. The stretches are doing wonders.

 

May the Source be with you!

0 km


 

No comments: