Sunday 8 December 2019

Thursday, December 5th, 2019


Toronto, Ontario

Evening Walk

On my evening walk on Yonge Street, it was a homeless man who took some notice.  "Monk! Monk!" He prolonged the sound with a slight tone of yearning. 

And when I turned around to the fellow (about thirty) seated on a blanket on the cold sidewalk, I was expecting the next round to be: "Got some change?"  But it didn't happen. 

He cupped his hands, one into the other, and placed them to his heart.  At that point I don't believe he had any expectations except to be noticed.  There was a contentedness on his round, lightly-bearded face. 

My last reaction toward him was a blessing smile and if I could read his heart, for the moment, it was sufficient for him.  Krishna, please take care of him.

During the balance of the walk, I really made no other connections with people.  They appeared to be in that cold, selfish, Christmas-shopping mode, including the students.  When I was strolling through Queen's Park, I had hoped for a nod or some response from my "Hello!" But no one even uttered, "Monk! Monk!"  Phones and head-phones were the culprits. 

Only after an hour did a woman with her leashed puppy (breed unknown to me), happy in his winter coat, offer some sweetness.  "How are you?" was her communication.

I have met nice folks who come by the temple.  They are all enthusiastic, some of them first timers.  Maybe there's something about a temple atmosphere that brings out the best in all.  Well, for today, the streets were full of grim people, except for two.  Why the two aloe vera potted plants in my room show more reciprocation when I give their feet some water.  I can almost hear them say, "Thank you!"

May the Source be with you!
4 km




No comments: