Monday 18 December 2017

Saturday, December 16th, 2017

Toronto, Ontario

I’ll Help Jay

It’s been hectic at the ashram and what contributes to this dynamic is the visit by Vaisesika and Nirakula.  They are a divine couple who pop by every six months, encouraging the community in the gift-giving exercise of sastra dana.  What this means is that if you sponsor a text, like the Bhagavad-gita, some lucky person can become the recipient of the book.

While a crew of volunteers became engaged in the art of book distribution I provided some back-up through cleaning the ashram.  Then I took advantage of the time to go for a much needed walk.  At 65, you just have to take action.  It’s day number three since returning from Winnipeg and I'm embarrassed to say it could have been day number three of no walking.  I got antsy.

Jay, 27, joined me.  As we trekked a trail down the ravine over nice ice and low snow, Jay had a thought on his mind.

“Only one thought, Jay?”

“Well, one pressing one.  Should I become a brahmachari (a monk)?”

I had questions for him, one of which was, “You’re working?”

“Yes.”

“Well, why not try coming on weekends for a stay over?  Come and learn the philosophy.  Chant and serve.  Make friends.  Give.  Receive.  See how you like it.  Go at it gradually.  In the event that you really like it then you might try working while staying at the ashram.  Most men do get married—the ones who come through the ashram doors.  After time given to the ashram experience you can decide, ‘Will you marry a woman or will you marry the mission?’  You give it some thought.  I’ll help in any way I can,” I said.


May the Source be with you!

9 km


No comments: