Sunday 12 February 2017

Sunday, February 5th, 2017

Mayapur, India

A Day
  
At the waking and walking hour of 3 a.m. the jackals howl and fog hangs thick in the air.  I’m on my way to the Samadhi temple for the 4:15 arati.  I see less of those unfortunate fellows–the sickly dogs along the way.

“Are they dying off?”  I wonder.  Stray dogs don’t have a master, after all.  They may be missing out.  At least for a human, playing and being in the servant’s role is a real plus.

After the arati I make my way to the Radha Madhava temple for more kirtan and hopefully, someone like Jambhavan of South Africa may be there to accompany me.  The puja or worship of tulasi, the sacred plant, is a highlight, and I see Jambhavan is getting a big kick out of it. It is a chanting session with a focus on ‘holy green’, the tulasi herself.

Announcements follow, and today a quote from our guru, Srila Prabhupada, addresses the hazards of gossip.  Very profound.

Dogs don’t gossip.  They might bite but it’s less painful.  Humans are excellent at the art.  I question why there are no championships set up somewhere in the world.  More societies frown upon gossip and rumor-mongering but it often enjoys a healthy existence wherever you go.

To counter this tendency toward usage of the evil tongue, we are encouraged by Sri Krishna in the Gita to execute austerity of the tongue.  “Silence is golden,” seems to reflect His message.

There’s always a “Krishna Katha”talking about what is divine.

May the Source be with you!


4 km

No comments: