Friday 13 December 2013

Wednesday, December 11th, 2013

That’s Right, Dave!

Burnaby, British Columbia

In the course of a chilly walk this evening, I met Dave by the Chinese convenience store on Marine Drive.  He was cozily bundled up in a parka and hat to cover the ears.  I still could recognize him though.
 
Dave was the guy that drove me to my accommodation after a grueling trek, day 4, of my first cross-Canada walk in ’96.  I targeted and achieved a 47 KM walk that day.  Dave was the guy who drove me in his second hand black Cadillac.  He was unique, observing the asphalt moving under you with the car in motion because of the rust that eroded the floor to create holes.  Dave was the guy who was very fond of his dog, a massive specimen who sat in the back seat.  The next day, Dave was also the guy who gave me a small plastic bag of cayenne pepper to put in my socks, guaranteeing me that it would help pick up speed while walking.  You know, honestly, I bought into it, and poured the stuff inside.  My soles were a little fiery that day.  At least with the mix of rain those white socks turned saffron – my colour.

Dave was also the guy who let me reciprocate with his generosity by teaching him a verse from the Gita.  It goes like this: 

rāja-vidyā rāja-guhyaṁ
pavitram idam uttamam
pratyakṣāvagamaṁ dharmyaṁ
su-sukhaṁ kartum avyayam
 

It’s funny, after all these years, Dave retained it in his memory banks, so as soon as he saw me, he recited it, right in front of the Chinese boy behind the counter, and he recited it quite well.  I was quite proud of him.  We went for a mutual hug.  I didn’t ask for the English translation.  Even if he knew it, letting the sound linger in Sanskrit was just good enough.  However, I will take the opportunity to present its translation: 

“This knowledge is the king of education, the most secret of all secrets. It is the purest knowledge, and because it gives direct perception of the self by realization, it is the perfection of religion. It is everlasting, and it is joyfully performed. 

I thanked Dave for his gestures of the past.  Even his reciting was a gift to the ears.  He let me know that his dog, since then in ’96 passed on, while he had planned to continue going on.

“That’s right, Dave, your soul will.”

May the Source be with you!

8 KM

No comments: