Tuesday 17 December 2013

Sunday, December 15th, 2013

Nine Point Sixteen


Burnaby, British Columbia

The sun had burst through the clouds.  It’s been a while since seeing it.  With winter and what it is – snow, fog, rain and the coastal dynamics, you begin to miss something, the sun.  You can never say, however, that even with the sun’s absence or it’s obscurity, “I forgot what it looked like.”  No, you can’t say that.  The impression of the sun is deeply imprinted in the memory recesses.  The mere mention of the sun brings to mind that happy ball of heat and light that’s above us.

Taking advantage of this moment, this breakthrough, I and two other companions took to a spontaneous walk towards the neighbouring greenhouses.  I wanted to show my friends my regular escape area.  To get to this escape you have to spend at least ten minutes trekking along Marine Drive.  Although Sunday, it’s crazy for traffic.  Christmas time doesn’t help.  Yes, Christmas, perhaps the most materialistic time of the year.  I think Christ would be disgusted, what do you think?  Sorry, I’m a Scrooge.

Our stroll took us along Meadow Avenue, past the nursery called “It’s About Thyme” (“I am the healing herb ,” – Bhagavad Gita 9.16).  We passed by a boarded up school house and farm houses and fields, and as we ambled along we had our companion of the Hare Krishna mantra (mantro ham “I am the mantra,” – Bhagavad Gita 9.16).  We thought we started with three of us, but actually there were four of us.  Oh, no, the sun is also there, that makes five.

One hour went by as we concluded our escape route.  Then I dashed off to fulfill an obligation, to speak to our community members at the ISKCON Centre.  I entered into the temple where the arati (ritual) had just been completed (aham kratur – “I am the ritual,” – Bhagavad Gita 9.16).  As I was about to speak, the offering of good food – fruit, veggies, grains, were presented before the Krishna deity (aham hutam – “I am the offering,” Bhagavad Gita 9.16).

I opened to the page from the Gita selected for me, it was 9.16 from the Gita.  The main theme that was highlighted from this topic was the notion of sacrifice, aham yagyah – “I am the sacrifice,” Bhagavad Gita 9.16.  I emphasized the importance of sacrifice in the form of kirtan.

Here’s how the whole verse reads from 9.16:

“I am the ritual, I, the sacrifice, the offering to ancestors, the healing herb, the transcendental chant, I am the butter, and the fire, and the offering.”

After the talk, I indulged in the food cooked in ghee (clarified butter – Bhagavad Gita 9.16).  Today I embraced this verse.

May the Source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: