Sunday 22 December 2013

Friday, December 20th, 2013


Saranagati, British Columbia

BEST TESTS

My host in Saranagati Village, Mahidhar, was half joking when he asked me to bless the van.  His Ford Escape was to be the means of transportation back to Vancouver.  So, to ensure a safe journey I did take his recommendations seriously.

At 5:30 AM I was out the door, ready for a walk towards the city in anticipation to be picked up by Mahidhar and Peter.  I stood in front of the vehicle, chanted some mantras, and even circumambulated the van before heading off down the quiet snow packed country road.  The two valley dogs, Ganga and Narasingha, accompanied me until we reached the cattle barrier called a cattle guard.  Cattle dare not cross the ground level metal frame at the end of the road that junctures at Highway 1, the Trans Canada Highway.  My two canine comrades also could not cross this barrier.  A human with careful footing can succeed, however.  I crossed over it and then went directions west with the Hare Krishna mantra and snowflakes to keep me from being lonely.

Six O’Clock passed, the projected time for Mahidhar and Peter to pick me up.  No sign of them.  7 o’clock passed and again no sign of them.  8 o’clock passed by and still no one showed up.  8:30 rolled along, no Mahidhar and no Peter.  “Something happened, I’m sure.  My blessing the vehicle didn’t work.  I hope they are alright,” I thought.

Ten minutes later, and with 12 KMs under my feet, finally a van pulled over.  It was Peter and Kulashekhar in another vehicle that had come to pick me up with the news that there was an accident.  Apparently the Ford Escape slid off the icy road, went over the edge, and into a gully, and finally being wedged in place by a stump and a log.  No one was hurt and the vehicle appeared to be miraculously operable.  After some endeavor one helper, Stanur, got behind the steering wheel and successfully freed the van from being stuck.  He drove it forward into a field, but then hit a rock that destroyed the oil pan.

Meanwhile a nasty snow storm blasted through the whole south of BC.  By the forces of nature, we were not going to go anywhere.  Unfortunately, we had to cancel out on a major satsang (spiritual gathering) held in Vancouver.

One thing that I pondered, before embarking on the journey back to Vancouver, I had recited protective mantras as an offering to our dear Sri Krishna.  Obviously not all occurrences pan out so smoothly, even when asking for a blessing.  The blessing, nevertheless, does come to the recipient, but not always in the format as anticipated.  In such circumstances, patience and tolerance have the chance to play out within one’s self.  The best tests in life do come unsought.

May the Source be with you!

12 KM

No comments: