Tuesday 24 December 2013

Sunday, December 22nd, 2013

Burnaby, British Columbia

Forgive and Forget

To the gathering at the ISKCON Centre I read from the Bhagavad Gita and then spoke on the topic of forgiveness based on Chapter 11, verse 41 and 42:

“Thinking of You as my friend, I have rashly addressed you ‘Oh Krishna’, ‘Oh Yadhava’, ‘Oh my friend’, not knowing Your glories, please forgive whatever I may have done in madness or in love.  I have dishonoured you  many times, jesting as we relax, lay on the same bed, or sat or ate together, sometimes alone and sometimes in front of many friends.  Oh infallible one, please excuse me for all those offenses.”  - Spoken by Arjun to Krishna.

Some Points Covered on “Forgiveness”

Definitions:

Apology:  acknowledgement of offense and expression of regret.
Regret:  feel sorry
Forgive:  pardon

Quotes:

“The beauty of a brahmin is his ability to forgive.” Chanakya Pandit

“One should be tolerant and excuse the minor offenses of others.” Srila Prabhupada.

Ksama (forgiveness) is a quality of the Divine Nature.”  Bhagavad Gita 16.1

Additional Points:

Don’t take things so personally.  You are not this body. 
If you are offended consider yourself an offender. 
“I am sorry”:  the three most difficult words to say.  Once said, a great burden is lifted.
Use your hatchet to bury itself.
It is the greatest shame to always hold a blame.
“Give” is the bigger part of the word, “forgive”.
Forgiveness:  the thaw after a hard freeze.

May the Source be with you!

3 KM

No comments: