Friday 6 December 2013

Thursday, December 5th, 2013

I Missed Something
Toronto, Ontario
I missed a purport in order to get my passport.  Let me explain, to secure my passport it’s a 3 KM hike to that office.  Who needs a car, right?  It’s advisable to go as early as possible and avoid lineups.  Leaving early in the day though meant I had to miss a purport.
What’s a purport you ask?   By dictionary’s definition a purport is, “the meaning or substance of something, typically a document or speech.”  In my own simpleton’s terms, it’s an explanation.  For 40 years plus I’ve been seeing with my eyes this word ‘purport’, almost as if it’s a constant walking companion.  I make it a point wherever I travel, by foot, air or other, where the location has an ashram, I will find myself sitting down amongst monks and laypersons, wrapping attention around a purport.
In the standard texts that we read such as in the morning’s Bhagavatam verse, you will find the joining purport or elaboration.  It’s not just a footnote as you might find at the base of each page in a Shakespeare play.  The Bhagavad Gita in its 700 verses also has practically each verse clarified by way of a purport by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada.  For many of us on the devotional path, Sanskrit verses could appear abstract, even when translated.  It’s as if they are a voice from another world and another era.  It’s the accompanying and illuminating purports that bring it all home.
On my return journey from the passport office I found myself caught up in a momentary self-lament because I missed the morning class with its purport.  Of course, I was elated to carry a spanking new document in my pocket.  So to compensate for the lack of purport, I attempted to insert a spiritual message into my head while walking.  I passed by Saint Michael’s hospital and viewed this massive sign of a mammoth angel’s head at the side of the building.  The image has a blue tint to it, so guess who this reminded me of?  Just the sight of this massive bust gave me a boost, even though there was no philosophical message behind it.  It is just gorgeous and it’s a remarkable break from the downtown atmosphere.
Purports are realizations, revelations, epiphanies.  And what I find really great about them is that after reading through one of them in Prabhupada’s books, you also hear the facilitator of that day deliver a purport to the purport.  By good fortune, I am also one of those on the schedule to elaborate or speak on the morning’s purport when called for.   Our guru, Prabhupada, also encouraged his students to write down any realizations you may have (purports).  Hence, this blog.
May the Source be with you!
13 KM

No comments: