Monday 28 December 2020

Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Yorkville, Toronto

 

Bells

 

It started to sprinkle almost immediately after I set foot on the sidewalk. The timing couldn’t have been more precise. The good thing about this occurrence is that I was forced to find each and every location which had a bench with some shelter over it.

 

I was actually planning to make it to Queen’s Park but the rain forced me to go halfway to Yorkville. I am good and prepared for a real rain shower when I’m in the area and when I don’t want to stray too far from the ashram.

 

At each bench I covered one round of japa chanting on the beads. I know that at this time Christmas Carolers go out on the street and sing spiritual. For instants, in Winnipeg, Vrinda, our fearless leader there, told me of how in her neighbourhood folks got together to belch out those classic holy songs with devotion. Recently someone asked me if I have a favourite Christmas song and I confessed that amongst the regular songs it is “Silver Bells” by the Supremes.

 

However, I was out there going bench-hopping and chanting the song “Hare Krishna,” which is a meditation on sacred sound. There was an optimism in the air amongst pedestrians.

 

By the way, at 6 p.m. tomorrow the members of the ashram, along with our neighbourhood, will be ringing whatever bells in the house we have, ring-a-ling-ing them in support of those fighting Covid.

 

Cheers!

 

May the Source be with you!

2 km


 

No comments: