Tuesday 29 December 2020

Friday, December 25th, 2020

Yorkville, Toronto

 

The Gita & Christmas

 

At noon, Alberta time, I Zoomed a class to out community in Edmonton, explaining the significance of the day. First of all, I spoke about the parallels of Christ and Krishna and then more emphatically detailed the wisdom factor that they both delivered for the benefit of humanity. The comparative notes were appreciated by the listeners. I feel an obligation to share with our congregants the importance of viewing the similarities between traditions and not overly emphasizing distinctions.

 

One area of activity that both Krishna and Jesus had in common, which I failed to mention, was their adherence to the walking culture. Jesus, for instance, did much travel on foot from place to place. The only recollection I have of his using another conveyance was when he rode on a donkey while being greeted palms.

 

Krishna, on the other hand, used so much leg muscle as a cowherd, walking the expanse of pastures with His friends and the calves. These thoughts came to mind when I was doing one of those brief walks through the snow-shoveled sidewalks of Yorkville, just metres away from our temple ashram. In fact, my walk was short due to a commitment of reading Chapter Six from The Gita, entitled “Dhyana Yoga.”

 

Quite a few people were online listening, not just to my segment of Chapter Six, but the entire seven hundred verses, a task of listening for about three hours. And while the reading was occurring through the audible level of my phone’s speakers, in the next room over, the kitchen, our cook was listening to the Sanskrit version. The atmosphere was surcharged with goodness.

 

May the Source be with you!

2 km


 

No comments: