Saturday 30 August 2014

Wednesday, August 27th, 2014

Bracebridge, Ontario

Eeking Out The Last Of Summer Fun


The summer break for kids is nearing its end.  Vacationers are wrapping it up as a creeping in chill hits our evenings.  In the forests where the oak tree flows with acorns, the squirrels ‘go nuts’ with harvest.  In truth, this is the summer that never was, as temperatures rarely reached normal heights.  But that’s okay, moderation in temperatures and lack of balminess is my thing, if I might say so, selfishly.

From the greater Toronto area, four families and I took off for an outing.  This I see as the spiritual leader’s obligation from time to time.  The motive or the motif is, “Get with your people”. 

Once reaching Bracebridge, a quaint town of 16,000, the majority of the group vied for going to Santa’s Village, a mini (and multi triple that) version of Disney nestled in the northern forest.  I first had to question my purpose in being in this kiddies’ domain.  Once entering, however, I could appreciate the neatness of the place, and an ambience of innocence.  I felt it was a safe haven compared to being in a convenience store which solicits sex through magazine covers which are for sale.  Now you have to remember, I’m a monk speaking here.  By the way, our kids really loved Santa’s Village.  The teenage boys, however, got stimulated only when we returned to our host’s facility, The Muskoka Riverside Inn, which has incorporated within its premises, a bowling alley. Excuse the inside joke – the ‘Hari Bowling” alley.  Yes, I took a crack at striking the pins.  I did pretty good if I might say so.

Finally, my turn for greater stimulation, a walk to two local waterfalls from along the Muskoka to Saugeen River, and to trails beyond, completed my adventure with the Patel dynasty, that are ever so good at securing motel/hotel establishments doomed to fail, and turning them into hopeful enterprises.  The secret is family power.

May the Source be with you!

6 KM

No comments: