Saturday 9 August 2014

Tuesday, July 29th, 2014

Dublin/Tenerife

Loosing Things


In the course of travel, as you may have experienced, you could lose something.  The last time I came to Ireland, indeed with the intent to walk it from Belfast to Cork, I misplaced an umbrella.  An umbrella is much needed in this greenish land.  It rains a lot.  I did accomplish the feat (on foot by the way).  This umbrella had sentimental value for me.  It was a gift that was handed to me by a First Nation’s person (a Native) in Cape Breton, Canada, during a rainfall while I was trekking.  It was particularly big, one of those golf course types.  In my forgetfulness, I left this token of kindness in the overhead compartment of the aircraft.  Regrets!  Oh well! 

I also lost my japa meditations beads in Havana.  They were actually stolen right from my person.  A young guy mistaking the pouch with beads in it to be a money bag, just ripped the pouch and beads right from around my neck and dashed off in a hurry.  I’ve had those beads in my possession since I became a monk in 1973.

That became a lesson in detachment of mind.  After a search for either the culprit, and/or beads, I just had to ‘let go’.  The beads were gone forever.  I hope the thief has made good use of them and has taken up mantra meditation.  That would be of some resolve.

Now, in the shuffle of luggage from Toronto to Dublin, and then to Tenerife, my luggage of robes and personals can’t be found.  It’s not hopeless, the luggage is retraceable.  Now, is there anything worse than losing such things?  Well, there is the consideration that if you lose your reputation or people take stabs at it, it can become very hurtful.  I take personal pride in being somewhat principled, and in being a monastic person with some decent character, though far from perfect.  When accused of promiscuities over the internet, of doing something that has no foundation whatsoever, it can be painful.  I won’t get too specific here.  I will bear the pain and invoke whatever compassion I can toward the accuser. 

In all circumstances, I would say a person should never lose a grip on dharma (duty), integrity and compassion.  Hold on to these for dear life. 

May the Source be with you!

0 KM (Except for the walking within 3 airports.)

No comments: