Saturday 9 August 2014

Thursday, August 7th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

Three Workers


I heard some talking going on from across the street and slightly above.  I turned my head as a natural response.  Three guys in hardhats at a construction site were looking right at me.  One was brown bodied, one was white, and the third was oriental. 

The brown guy offered pranams (palms together).  The oriental guy looked at the brown guy doing pranams and engaged in a smile, while the white dude who was standing in the middle did a little head toss.  I reciprocated with their responses which were triggered by my being there.  Whatever dialogue went on between the three of the workers, I was not privy to.  I know that the initial reaction from them was favourable and respectable. 

I went on my way towards my destination to a gathering of vintage Krishna folks, where we would enjoy each other’s bonding.  To the program, I, as usual, tend to take note of reactions from people.  Indeed, cyclists and pedestrians responded rather positively, apart from the three workers.  I see that greeting someone is a kind of service that people are obliged to indulge in.  There is that social need in extending neighbourly gestures.  Let’s face it, life can be extremely grim if it wasn’t for small traces of lightness that’s inserted within.

A “Good morning! “ “Hello!  How are you?”  Or just delivering a smile.  Maybe a “Namaste”, a “Hare Krishna”, go a long way to leading people towards improving the quality of life.  Of course, it really helps when you have a unique set of duds on that puts the thought of spirituality in the mind.  It makes the greeting that much more interesting. 

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: