Saturday 9 August 2014

Saturday, August 2nd, 2014

Tenerife, Spain

Those Who Were Sleeping


Those who were sleeping outside in their camping wear woke up to the sound of our chanting.  A group of us were firmly planted by a cliff’s edge by the ocean, as were the Friday night party folks who were nestled in those sleeping bags.  The volcanic rock formations of unique configurations were the backdrop to our morning chanting and discussions.  A couple of fisherman came to us and really complemented us for our drumming and singing. 

Yadunandana Swami, a Spanish born, Barcelona raised boy, was my companion in leading the chant.  He’s ten years my junior, he’s clean and honest.  We made the trek from our flat at Club Paraiso, and along with Mohit of Calgary, hit our desitanation point where we met other local devotees of Krishna.   We chanted and talked.  The group wanted to hear of walking adventures I had, and so I obliged them before we dipped into those pristine waters at the base of the cliff where sea turtles do frequent.  At least at Tenerife’s water, you have multiple creatures.  It’s land that has less variety, so it seems.  I asked about wild game and locals say, “Rabbits are about the largest animals you’re going to get around here.  Next to them are lizards.”  I do see lots of doves and hear them quite amply. 

Life is laid back here and relaxed.  Personally, I was restless about my lost luggage, so with a ride, I went to the lost and found at the South Airport.   My lost luggage was found.  The queue for that lost and found stall consisted of grumpy travellers, as you can imagine.  Personally, I was relieved. 

I’ve learned that it always does good to stick your fingers in the bead bag and do some mantra chanting to cope with the agitation of all sorts and kinds.

May the Source be with you!

4 KM

No comments: