Sunday 15 April 2012

Wednesday, April 11th, 2012

Looking Forward
 
Amsterdam/South Africa
 
At customs in the Amsterdam Airport, the jolly officer looked at my passport name and then at me and said, " 'Vis', that's a Dutch name," referring to my legal name.
 
"Yes, it is."
 
"And you're wearing an orange shade. That's the colour of our team."
 
"You've got it right again," I said.
 
Our line had moved on. Before I realized the officer was one of the few people I spoke with during the day. There I was in a busy airport but a place that wasn't terribly encouraging for conversation. Of course not, for most people, the senses are preoccupied in other things. Many airports are designed to give the feel of a shopping mall where one's senses can run wild.
 
Once on the plane back to Canada I had the great opportunity to help the elderly gentleman next to me by opening his salted almonds bag for him. He just didn't have the strength. Then when actual meal time came, he required help to tear open the plastic bag of a cheese chunk. That was about it for conversations - "Here, let me help you with that."
 
I realized that more words are exchanged in a quiet ravine when you come upon a pedestrian. So much for a socially active world. In fact, at the airport or any public place it's astounding how many i-pods, phones and other gadgets occupy us. There's material there for a science fiction film.

Anyways, I'm so much looking forward to reconvening the trans-Canada walk, a fourth in progress, when I'll walk the provincial trail. Whoever I meet along the way will be a quality exchange, I'm sure, even if it be the ghost of Ann (of Green Gables).
 
Looking Forward! Looking Forward!

0 Km - in the air.

No comments: