Sunday 15 April 2012

Thursday, April 12th, 2012

To Drink or Not to Drink

Toronto, Ontario

“At college the guys are encouraging me to drink with them,” said Durjoy.
Don’t give in to them. Stand your ground. There’s many reasons to avoid drinking. It’s expensive. Liquor and beer stink. It rots your guts over time. You have something better. Such is what I explained to this young student, Durjoy.
“They’re my friends,” he said. Then I said, “Be firm, and maybe they’ll give it up when they see you are happy and healthy. If they insist on this form of partying, I’m sure you can find friends who don’t drink.”
Durjoy complies with me. He indicated that all of this type of socializing is stupid.
“And you are smart, so you don’t give in.”
Durjoy and I had walked the entire length of the ravine along the Evergreen Brickworks, and along Mount Pleasant Cemetery when Durjoy brought up the topic. He is a short and rather thin fellow, but strong with principles. You can’t let size deceive you. Our guru, Srila Prabhupada, was small in size. His voice and message was loud and strong. He was larger than life and he was principled.
"Do not compromise on your principles once they are established,” is what I indicated to Durjoy, "there is strength in principle. You may even be praised for upholding them. Principles are your protection and protection is what we could all use a lot more of. It is also pleasing to Krishna when we show discipline."
12 Km

No comments: