Friday 28 January 2011

Thursday, January 27th, 2011

New Music Wave

Toronto, Ontario

Munish Bhakri is one of the boys in our community or shall I say young adults (he's in his 20's) who organized a rather large scale gathering of kirtan leaders from around the world. They will descend on the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) for a jamming of Krishna's name on what's called the Family Day weekend (Feb. 20th). The surge of kirtan is a worldwide phenomenon and a 24/7 or what's called Astha Prahar traditionally, is going to jam the air waves for one precious day.

The 24 hour approach to continuous nonstop chanting of the maha-mantra is not foreign to this part of the world. A serious yet humble beginning of effort came with Raj Sarangi, a dear friend, now deceased, in the nineties and it has been going strong ever since. Munish is taking it to another level. The venue is large - at the Hindu Sabha in Brampton and the chanting leaders are coming from all over - India, Australia, USA, the UK. The noted names of some fame are Bada Hari, Hari Bhakti Dey and the Mayapuris.

In all humility Munish came to me on this day and knowing I won't be in attendance due to my trip to India, he wanted to apologize. I said, "You don't have to say you're sorry. I wish you the best and thank you."

It makes me so proud that our young guys and gals have picked up the bhava, or mood, of love for this chanting. After seeing Munish I took my healing walk on the windy streets of Rosedale. To get to this neighbourhood I cross Yonge St. and when I did so the ground shook. Why did it shake?

As I was crossing, rap music was pulsating from inside someone's vehicle. yes, the ground shook. And I picked up a little bit of the sound. Now, I don't mind rap, but this was rap with a 'C' in front of it. I will declare I wondered what will be the next new wave of music to storm the world. What genre will it be?

I believe it will be a sound that starts with a 'C'. It will be chanting.

Thank you, Munish.
www.ashtaprahar.ca
info@ashtaprahar.ca
647-928-9860

4 KM

No comments: