Friday 26 June 2009

Wednesday, June 24th, 2009

Not Grim!

Saanichton, British Columbia

From my brother’s home a five minute walk takes you to Centennial Park. There are great looping trails there. I spotted a slow slug. He was huge. Fern bushes were large. Cedar trees were towering. In this virtual rainforest you find everything large. Everything is sizable except for my bhakti, my devotion.

It struck me. There I was attempting to give focus to the sound on my tongue, the sound of the name, but I was unable to give much attention to it. I cannot scapegoat my surroundings and blame it for my lack of concentration. It is my own determination to listen that is weak. My lips had been moving and sound was produced but I wasn’t hearing much. “Woe is me!”.

Soft rains came to nourish the porched area. The cleansing rain gave hope. My will strengthened and more focused sound came out of my mouth.

My evening was slotted for attending a twelve year old’s birthday. The hosts, a family from Fiji, arranged the program. I was expected to sing and to speak – to say something uplifting. My personal challenge was to make a presentation that would be of particular interest to the kids that were to attend. So I decided to choose a story from the book “Krishna” and read and act out or charade out the blanks. It worked. It was a hit. The kids sat in front of me with adults behind. The end result was a clearly focused audience. Lots of laughs. Then time for an overview of what was read. Some serious reflection followed. Then a chanting session with innovative dance steps had everyone jolly.

Spiritual life does not have to be grim.

7 KM

No comments: