Wednesday 24 June 2009

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009

Victoria, British Columbia

Worry!

On the previous night we awarded two women diksha, or initiation. It involved the verbalizing of vows, new names given, a fire ceremony, chanting, rituals, a feast and a talk. In the talk I emphasized to the two initiates the need to see the founder, Srila Prabhupada, as their principle guru. "I will not stand in his way!" I said, "I am his helper."

The feast at night (although I restrained quantities) took its toll on the tummy. I rose early and took to the trails, one of which is situated under Vancouver's skytrain. This is where I engage in chanting on my beads.

With morning spiritual exercise (sadhana) done, I headed off to Vancouver Island and its capital city, Victoria. With these associates to accompany me, we were helpd for an extended time at Tsawassen's ferry dock. We were waiting and worrying about being late. We met Tim Lawson, an ex-hippy formerly from Ontario.

"I was with you guys in Hamilton in the '70's. I spent a week living with you, with my guitar, chanting," he said. He described himself as an artist at large. He handed a card with a message on the back. Perhaps you have heard it before. It's called:

Why Worry?
In this life there are only two things to worry bout.
Either you will be rich or poor.
If you are rich, there is nothing to worry about.
If you are poor, there are only two things to worry about.
Either you will be healthy or sick.
If you are healthy, there is nothing to worry about.
But if you are sick, there are two things to worry about.
Either you will live or you will die.
If you live, there is nothing to worry about.
If you die, there are only two things to worry about.
You will either go to heaven or to hell.
If you go to heaven, there will be nothing to worry about.
If you go to hell, you'll be so darn busy shaking hands with all your friends, you won't have time to worry!

SO WHY WORRY!

Author Unknown

Although I find the message cute, I take the liberty to comment by saying: I hope to find my friends in a better place.

In the evening, a lively program was hosted by Krishna devotees. It was the first time that I actually gave a talk before kith and kin. My brother Paul came over to the program.

5 KM

No comments: