Friday 5 April 2019

Wednesday, March 27th, 2019

Toronto, Ontario

Indoor Ecstasy

Although the weather was just perfect for a stroll, I was confined to our building, the temple.  That is not a bad deal, necessarily, because there are at least four sections of the place where I can conveniently pace back and forth to compensate for an outdoor absence.  I usually chant at that time.   https://www.instagram.com/p/BvkA8ynF6NE/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tbicusswsist

What kept me pleasantly locked-in today, was the attention I needed to give to people's needs.  I look at that as not a chore, but rather a score.  I see it as opportunity, and it's always a pleasure to help someone.

Today, human needs took the shape of hearing from a person in distress.  A second person was one of those sincere seekers who had that genuine spiritual craving—with questions.  In both cases, with the two individuals, it was necessary for me to practise good listening skills.

Good listening or good hearing is the first of nine devotional activities.  The other eight are listed by the great boy-saint, Prahlad, as chanting, recalling the positive, humbling service, adoring sacred images, praying, acting as servant, befriending God and engaging in sweet surrender.

A good portion of a human's obligation to the world is to cultivate these nine functions of a divine nature, which should bring out the best in an individual.  It is not good enough just to say, "I'm an avid walker."  Building character is a big part of the bhakti-yogalifestyle.

May the Source be with you!
5 km

No comments: