Monday 9 June 2014

Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Cranbrook, British Columbia

I Stepped On

I stepped on what appeared to be a trail at Cranbook’s west end.  I was wrong.  A sign posted on this narrow cleared space near this swampy body of water, was a natural maternity habitat for local turtles.  An elderly man was raking the ground, readying it for turtle nesting.

I apologized to the man when I discovered my mistake.  “Oh, that’s alright, you didn’t know,” he replied forgivingly. 

Whenever there is an opportunity to trek somewhere parallel to a super busy highway, I jump for it.  Karuna, my walking partner for this morning, and I, spotted the Trans Canada Trail while walking during the morning rush hour.  We dashed for that trail and enjoyed the shade and tranquility it offered.  When it is inevitable that we stick to the main road, then we accept it as a practice in austerity.  The traffic is particularly busy through Cranbrook, a juncture that leads to Vancouver, Calgary, and the States. 

Being where the motorists frequent is always the most challenging, but I did meet nice samaritans today.  I had stopped by at a house asking for a possibly alternative parallel road.  The owner of the home informed me that there wasn’t any.  Somehow or other he was intrigued when I told him about the nationwide walk, because a half hour later, he and his wife pulled over and presented a bag full of goodies.

“Now, if there’s anything in this bag, you can’t eat, you can just take it out right now.”  So I looked inside and I pulled out the can of tuna and the package of beef jerky, and then went on to enjoy the fruit with thanks.  Not much later, a woman who had heard there’s a monk in town, drove out to the shoulder of the road where I continued to amble along.  Intrigued, she offered a donation and a smile.  Both were precious. 

I have one lament about these days, we don’t seem to be having success in school engagements in either Alberta or BC like we experienced in the prairies and north western Ontario.  Even yoga societies appeared too busy for our presentation.  Either that, or it’s too short notice.  So be it.  We are spending time with Paul and Sara and their friends who have come to visit.  Paul is 83 and he makes a mean rhubarb apple pie.  Due to our presence there, Paul and Sara’s company is enjoying vegetarian cuisine which we consecrate to make it prasadam. 

I thank Arnie from the Daily Townsman for coming to do an interview.

May the Source be with you!

35 KM

No comments: