Monday 23 June 2014

Thursday, June 19th, 2014

Keremeos, British Columbia
 
The Road Gives
 
 
The road always offers provisions.  In the last few days of walking, Karuna and I have been harvesting a number of natural growing goodies along the way just by the highway.  We have been at plucking the Saskatoon berries, taking in amaranth - grains that ancient Greece indulged in, and also wild mustard leaves grabbed in generous clumps.  I also witnessed lambs’quarters, a lovely substitute for spinach.  These are all delectable items to add to our camp cooking.
 
Speaking of camping, the three of us (Daruka included) had the real trial of a time contending with high winds overnight, yet the weight of three men trying to be at peace in slumber, kept our tent in position.
 
Something that brought a different spin to our outdoor experience was being present at a tanning.  Lynn, a native woman from the area, invited us to the bush by the river where I was asked to give a talk on parenting.   Not having played the role as parent in this life (I'm a life-long celibate and monk for two thirds of my life), I at least qualify having witnessed my own parents being responsible and mature in this department.
 
In any event I delivered a lesson and thoughts on what it means to be a good mum or dad, while the group there had stretched deer skins and were treating them for moccasin-wear.  It was a pleasure being in the company of these sweet members of the First Nations.  Daruka had arranged a second trip to the Similkameen school to share my pilgrimage experiences with a new group of students.
 
Now Keremeos being situated in a fruit-belt area, gave me the opportunity to meet guys in the fruit-farming occupation.  Handshakes worked for a local young farmer and pranams (palms together), addressing "Namaste/Hare Krishna" was natural when meeting a Sikh on his tractor.  When opportunities arose I also shook hands with clusters of cherries off their branches, seeing them in such abundance.
 
I want to give a special thanks to Steve of the town's 'Review' newspaper.  His questions for the upcoming issue were penetrating and insightful.
 
May the Source be with you!
 
36 KM

No comments: