Thursday 13 March 2014

Tuesday, March 11th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

A Stirring Inside

As winter begins its exit, dreams of outdoor opportunities open up.  Even a monk is no exception to this phenomenon.  After an hour or two of being occupied in a freshly painted office, it was necessary to burst out of our ashram building and let air do its magic.  I almost sprinted on Yonge Street with enthusiasm excited about the spring in the air. 

One of my students had earlier on reported seeing one of those bright red male cardinals (the bird and nothing to do with the Vatican).  This was a sure sign of spring.  As I walked along, one street guitarist between songs expressed his joy, “It’s a great day to be alive!”  Couldn’t agree more. 

In the Yorkville area a woman saw me and simply said, “Hello.”  She acted on spontaneity when she noticed I was doing my work in progress, chanting softly on my meditative beads.  She said, “Oh, I’m sorry to interrupt.”

“No, it’s quite alright, you did nothing wrong.  Enjoy this day.”

“I am.” 

When I returned to the ashram and made my way down the corridor to the office of fresh paint, I glanced at a copy of one of those summer adventure ‘zines’ called “Wilderness Tours” left in the desk tray.  The overall message of the publication was ringing out, “Get outside!”  The publications highlights more boating adventure as opposed to walking, but I like some of the quotes used regarding life and nature and how to get the most out of them. 

From Rich Ridgeway, “Life is either a daring pursuit or nothing at all.”  “The best journeys in life are those that answer questions you never thought to ask.”

From comedian Danny Kaye, “Life is a blank canvass, and you need to throw all the paint on it you can.”

From Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, “Teach your children well… and feed them on your dreams.”

From Eleanor Roosevelt, “The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience of the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences.”

From William Butler Yeats, “I hear the lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore… I hear it in the deep heart’s core.”

From Rudyard Kipling, “Something hidden.  Go and find it.  Go look behind the ranges.  Lost and waiting for you, go!”

When spring springs, urges to do more stir up inside.  Go out then and find yourself and find God. 

May the Source be with you!

7 KM

No comments: