Saturday 15 March 2014

Friday, March 14th, 2014

Toronto, Ontario

The Raw Thaw 

Snow! Ice! Slush! Water! That’s what you get on a day like today. It’s the raw thaw. And it’s okay. It’s an adventure going through it all, as I traversed Yonge, Bloor, Bathurst and Dupont streets.

I feel no regrets not being in a car. I’m happy on my feet. There’s something sweet about it.

As I went (direction West) with a blinding sun in the eyes, I could make out a toqued chap coming towards me, hands in pranama.

“How are you Maharaja?” said he.

Oh it’s you, Jiva-nuga!” I responded.

Immediately my thoughts raced to the past. He’s a fine human being. His roots are from the East (New Brunswick) and he had joined the ranks of monks in the West (Vancouver) years ago. While he’s no longer a man of the cloth, and chose to reenter civilian life, his time in a brahmacarya regimen really benefitted him.
I’ve always liked Jiva, he’s as honest as you can get. He’s quiet and mild, but strong of body and skilled with his hands.

With the sun to my left shoulder, now going North-bound on Bathurst, I met another pedestrian, an acquaintance. It was Kathleen O’Connell, widow to Professor Joseph T. O’Connell, pioneer in many ways for helping establish wholesome dialogue between leaders of different faith groups.

Before his departure, Kathleen told me that Joseph recently set up a comparative religious course in the University of Dacca in Bangladesh. His office was right next to the fundamentalist Islamic group. With his charm, wit and intellect, Joseph managed to build a bridge of communication.  

He was also thrilled, back in 1968 in Boston, to meet our guru, Srila Prabhupada, during the embryonic stage of a promising bhakti movement.

It was great meeting Kathleen. She was watching her steps, as I was, to evade slush and water pools as we parted our ways. It’s my assumption that she’s a walker and doesn’t mind the adventure that goes along with it. You don’t get this kind of interaction when buzzing around in a car.

May the source be with you!

5 KM

No comments: