Tuesday 11 March 2014

Saturday, March 1st, 2014



Mayapur, India

You Can Get Bitten

I do anticipate that anything can happen at any time.  Down any trail, danger can lurk.  What if along the trail of dust, a cobra confronts me and he strikes?  I might have an hour to live.

The last few evenings, just to get away from the crowds, I've taken to the path.  I premeditate as to what to do should a fateful event like a snake injecting his venom ever occur.

As I embarked on what’s now a brick-lain trail before it turns to raw soil, I perceived a towering figure who stepped into my shadow.  I turned around to see who it was.  A stranger to me, but in traditional attire, dhoti and kurta - was this tall blonde-haired stocky Russian.

I beckoned him to join.  His English is poor.  My Russian is awful.  We decided to penetrate through the dark together and not talk but chant japa.  I had the trail chalked out. He trusted my turns when they came.

We walked on and on in the quiet of the night.  Only in the distance could we hear a little pop music from across the Jalanghi river.  We weren't bitten by a cobra, only by that sound which is not congruous to the local spiritual atmosphere.  "Never mind!"  I thought.  Change what you can, not what you can't.  Focus on the sound that falls off your tongue and your lips.  "Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare".

The Russian-walking comrade goes by the name of Vedaguhya.  It turns out he's an expert massage therapist.  He offered to massage my legs, feeling an obligation I suppose.  In returning the favour, I offered a newly-acquired lota (a container for water).

In the dham (spiritual abode) everyone tries to resign to exchanges of giving.  It heals.

May the Source be with you!

4 KM

No comments: