Tuesday 25 March 2014

Monday, March 24th, 2014

White City, Saskatchewan

Paths

Aang, the air bender, a popular character from the animation series, is the latest person that I remind someone of.  On the list is Ghandi, Dalai Lama, Forrest Gump, Martial Artist Grasshopper, Buddha, and actor Kevin Spacey – all people I’m supposed to either resemble or give a reminder towards.  Whether I’m on one of those marathon walks or at a venue for a presentation, people don’t hold back from addressing someone that is relatable.  These remarks can be flattering or facetious.  I must admit, that in fact, I’m just an ordinary person, a simple monk who is a Prabhupada man.  I belong to my guru and I’ve set out for his mission which is to share the consciousness of Krishna.  My portfolio in this regard is teaching the science of bhakti yoga.  Every day of my life, the compelling obligation is to share some lesson with someone.

An opportunity in White City came when three young men volunteered to join me on the local trail system.  Our step was cautious, moving over intermittent snow, ice and general bareness.  On one trail, deer droppings marked the way.  We found the owners, the herd, who gave a good long curious stare.  We returned the stare, but they outdid us.  We were not prepared to stay there forever.  As we began to move, so did they. 

So the choice of trails was there, to go the way of snow and deer, or to take the path of relative dryness.  In life, we all have a choice to tread either of two paths.  One is called nvriti marga, the road of spirituality.  The other marga (path) is pravritti”, the trail of self indulgence.  Take your pick. 

May the Source be with you!

3 KM

No comments: