Monday 29 September 2008

Thursday, September 26th, 2008

Thursday, Sep 26, 08 - Regina Saskatchewan, Canada

It was a simple one hour flight from Winnipeg that brought me to Regina and a stay over in White City with a couple, Jaganath and Chintamani. Jaganath is an accomplished palm reader and had clients and tasks to tend to while Chintamani a nurse at the de-tox centre, attended a conference. I asked Jaganath to drop me off at Victoria Park, the heart of Regina’s downtown.

I chose a park bench under yellow autumn trees to plant myself armed with a mrdanga drum and facing the war memorial, a location where people pass by. At lunch hour folks came by such as a a young father pushing his young son in a stroller, men and women in business suits, and an elderly woman hobbling along. Native people, members of the Cree tribe, sat by listening to my pow wow, drumming and singing. The mantra also attracted people who stopped to talk - Shivaji, Mayank and Priyankar, all from India here on computer business. There was Dave from an insurance firm, Mark a porter, Mike who works for the provincial government and teaches yoga, to name a few.

To break I would read from Steven Rosen’s new book “The yoga of Kirtan” a treasure of a publication which is an interview of master chanters. This casual program of chanting, talking, reading and passing out mantra cards put me in the happiest state. I was really in my element here. It went on for five hours this interactive-ness, this giving and receiving. There were no fellow monks to accompany me but I certainly didn’t feel alone.

In the evening I was asked to speak about the walking inspirations in Ireland at the Krishna centre on Retallack St. Most amazing was meeting Jim who came. He is now retired after working for the government for years. He first met Krishna monks in 1973 and took seriously to chanting. After a period of setting aside spiritual pursuits he more recently returned after a dream where child Krishna spoke to him redirecting him back to spiritual association. Jai Jim!

9 Km

No comments: