Sunday 7 September 2008

Friday, September 5th, 2008

Friday, September 5 /08 - Dublin, Ireland

Route 108 is a plesant trail early in the morning but it turned into a monster by rush hour. There is no shoulder but frequent puddles on the pavement's edge. The traffic is thick but tolerant. Europeans are much more used to working in tight spots. No one honked a horn out of agitation. Rain came like hell.

I suggested to my support monks that we move their home (van) to a parallel road to be safe. So we transfered to Route 132. Rain and wind was now horrendous as we commenced walking near Dublin Airport. A major mistake occured. The camper van which I took shelter of for a break was parked facing north. I exited the van and headed in that direction thinking it south (there is no Sun to tell directions) But I was specific about Premarnava staying close by, that I would be struggling just to hold my umbrella and dodge traffic and puddles and to park at every round about or juncture in order that there was no confusion direction wise. Well this mistake in the wrong direction put me in a storm for five hours with no means of comunication. It was a desolate area. Whithout more details I had to console myself by recalling that Krishna, when young, got caught in a storm with a shcool mate of his, Sudhama, they were stuck, lost all night in a forest until found the next morning .

Eventually I made my own way to downtown Govindas Vegetarian Reastaraunt and to meeting the missing monks. Unfortunately I missed my media that there was little interest in Dublin over the pilgrimage story, unlike the smaller places.

The storm persisted for hours today but I belive I came out stronger and will be less intimidated by rain after my Irish stretch is over. When Irish eyes are smiling...

40 km.

No comments: