Tuesday 16 September 2008

Saturday, September 13th, 2008

Sat. Sept. 13/08 - Youghal, Ireland

On the previous night a kind-hearted student Prasanna, from South India honoured Igor and I. Prasanna also shared accommodations with fellow students in Waterford. Last night I took a bed in a tight quarter with other travellers in a single room at a bed and breakfast. We certainly shared stories of travel before resting in this town of Youghal. At 4:30 am I was prepared for the first day’s trek outside the B&B when police pulled over and inquired, “Is everything alright?”

Shortly thereafter on this beautiful coastline place where waves crash rhythmically against rocks within earshot, a local fellow, Justin, walked towards me asking what the police wanted. So I told him. I asked him what he’s doing so early in the morning. “You meant this late in the night? Well, I was with a Seniorita, but everything was quiet.” He said disappointingly. I mentioned to him that I was on a trek to meet folks and to encourage them to consider the spiritual component in life. As we spoke a van pulled up with young men of Latvian decent. They had come to participate in the culture of simultaneous walking and chanting for the day. They brought a fresh enthusiasm to the day. The spiritual component to their life had come very recently. While trekking the road I engaged them in learning a greeting mantra starting with, “Vancha-Kalpa……….”I’m convinced they will use it all the time now.

In the great outdoors of green landscape we saw no magical mushrooms or leprechauns but experienced the power of chanting, the power of healing while on heels.

40 Km

No comments: