Wednesday 6 February 2008

Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thurs. Nov.22/ 2007 - Towaco, New Jersey
Today is America's Thanksgiving Day and I happened to be on the east coast where that first glorious event took place almost four hundred years ago celebrating good cheer between the pilgrims of England and the natives of the U.S. I ventured for a solo walk near the Iskcon Centre of New Jersey amidst a rural festival of still autumn golds, reds and oranges. Squirrels scommered about making noise about their ever delicate step from laden leaves rubbing and rustling. Many homes along this hilly bound region have more than their own vehicles stationed in their own driveways. Visitors have come for planned family reunions. Sometimes the distinctive scent of maple and oak leaves is interrupted by air currents of turkey gravy. "For vegetarians 'tofurkey' is an option," explained Jennifer who earlier in the day described the craft of a designed big bird made of tofu. A nearby Buddhist restaurant offers the entré.
For a monk who bid farewell to the consumption of fowl, fish, and meat 35 years ago, any resemblance of a dead animal has no appeal even if seasoned well. I am content to enjoy the curried vegetable, fine buttered chappatis and steamed broccoli which was all offered to Krishna. I ate such a meal today with a thankful relish. I wish more folks would consider the good option.
As far as family, giving thanks and all that good stuff is concerned, one of my reasons for the trip here is to engage youth in a drama performance "The Coming of Ram". A major theme is children. It gives me a chance to be close to them, to remember what I once was and still might become should I go through a future life again.

No comments: