Wednesday 13 February 2008

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Thurs. Jan. 10/08 - Ottawa, Ontario
Indoor walking can easily be accomplished, as anyone knows, when pacing the treadmill. This mechanical device has become so popular over the last two decades. As I was driven to Govinda’s Dining in the evening I peered out the vehicle window and spotted a health club for students at Ottawa University. The place with expansive windows off of King Edward drive was fully capacitated by students. There were treadmills, of course, and a host of machineries well utilized for pumping up good health.
I certainly can’t be judgmental and say, from the monk’s perspective, that this is all bodily consciousness and deserves condemnation. I’m all for good health. In fact these human bodies are the creator’s machinery meant for maintenance. My preference is those walks in brisk air. It cannot match the indoor stationary stuff.
Ironically I found myself early this morning walking inside Govinda’s is a circumambulatory fashion around tables and chairs during closed hours. It was my way to have the company of the host, Shankar, who was also pacing as the both of us were fingering our meditation beads and uttering the maha mantra.
My brief stay in Ottawa necessitates that I take full advantage of every moment. Being in the company of a good soul changes your life. I can see that from the previous night’s performance that Shankar’s steadfast service at cooking and dishing out his vegan meals has won the respect of student recipients over the last twenty years.
Spiritual walks! Spiritual food! Spiritual companionship! There is nothing as beneficial.
5 kms. Inside.

No comments: