Thursday 7 February 2008

Saturday, December 22, 2007

Sat. Dec.22/07 - Vancouver, British Columbia
My legs were aching to walk and spirit nudging to move. After a gratifying evening with residents of Saranagati Village conversing and chanting I had set my mind to spring to my feet at 3:45 am this morning and get an early start for Vancouver. I find when I focus strongly on a time line for rising the following morning some subconscious force pulls me up like some marionette on the strings. By 4:00am I hit the trail on Venables Valley, then right on the Trans Canada Highway (an old friend) towards Vancouver.
The air was clean. Sage bushes are stilled by the winter chill. Not much moves here in this frozen wilderness, all but for the occasional roaming coyote. Two and a half hours later Rasaraj, acting president of Saranagati Village, spotted me and stopped his four-wheel-drive for our pre-planned pick-up of myself. The drive to Vancouver was fine although snow flurries left us with ethereal white punctuations.
Rasaraja’s phone rang. It was a call and most unpleasant. One of my brother-in laws was shot and killed under some extraordinary circumstances in Toronto. My sister who is an angel of a person must be devastated. The news threw me into a period of silent sobriety as Rasaraj, passengers Dillon and I rode off along the Fraser Canyon into the lower mainland of Vancouver.
12 kms.

No comments: