Thursday 16 April 2020

Wednesday, April 15, 2020


Toronto, Ontario

Norah Does It Well

Jazz musician Norah Jones, daughter of sitar maestro, Ravi Shankar, has put herself online singing the piece, “I Am Missing You, Oh Krishna.”  Originally sung by Laksmi Shankar on one of Ravi’s albums, Norah puts it out in a sweet tone on her piano.  I played the song for the few of us at the ashram at supper. It was forwarded to me by Gaurachandra of Calgary.  With himself being a great sax and flute player, he has a love for music and so decided to share it.

I believe that during this pandemic time when things could be gloomy, lending an ear to devotional music can be very uplifting.  In the morning after we greet our deities, as what’s called darshan, our monks sit down for a bhajan, a song of devotion.  Every week we switch to a different bhajan for diversity.  This week’s song is authored by Lochana das and I heard our guru, Prabhupada, teach this piece we usually call “Parama Karuna” in February 1975 in Atlanta.  Oh it was beautiful!

Our neighbours on Roxborough Street are still making their music by banging pots and pans and blowing whistles at 7:30 every evening.  I was looking after that time for an opportunity to video something for an Instagram download for today.  Lo’ and behold I heard the harmonium playing through the ether and a soft charming voice was accompanying it.  There in a humble corner of our temple room sat and sang our cook, Dwarkanath.  He was loving it and so was I.

May the Source be with you!
4km

No comments: