Thursday 16 April 2020

Saturday, April 11, 2020


Toronto, Ontario

Some Healing Practices


A doctor friend from Florida amicably suggested I hear “Nature’s Way of Telling You Something’s Wrong,“ by the band “Spirit,“ not that it would act as a panacea but perhaps to ponder on an obvious element of truth given the pandemic we are in.  So, I looked them up, listened to the song and it’s fine.  For my medical friend it’s nostalgic.

Oops!  But I had to rush downstairs for another broadcast of Dwarkanath, Corrado and I chanted.  We chose this song, “Bhajahu Re Mana” by Govinda Dasa Kaviraja.  Dwarkanath is great at making pizza (Corrado knows so well) and he’s expert at mrdunga drum.  Corrado plays light on the karatals (hand symbols).  I sing as the lead.  They follow.

Verse 3 of the song translates as, “What assurance of real happiness is there in all one’s wealth, youthfulness, sons and family?  This life is tottering like a drop of water on a lotus petal; therefore you should always serve and worship the divine feet of Lord Hari.”

The melody is outstanding.  Very moving.

After our broadcast, held in the temple room, we dashed (or Corrado did. He’s 29 and is a dancer) for the prasadam room for our regular reading of Krishna book, which is just the right fit for any bhakti-yogi.

My final “ritual” for the day was that walk through Rosedale.  Sure enough, there I met Bill once again at the walk over-bridge.

“Hey, Bill, did you do your puja today?”

“Yes, I have a lingam. I use a camphor flame, water, a flower…”

His puja or ritual is important to him as is his bike riding.  This Easter weekend for me is purifying.

May the Source be with you!
6km

No comments: