Monday 11 February 2019

Thursday, February 7th, 2019


Trinidad to Toronto

Moving Along

From the land of sand flies to the land of ice pellets, I go.  Yes, it's a "Trini thing," a term used by Hamsa Rupa, one of the new initiates from yesterday.  Bugs are rampant in Trinidad and other tropical places.  All places have their pluses and minuses.  We must note the pluses and build from there.

Now it was reported there was an ice storm in Toronto.  Good, in one way.  No biting bugs can survive in that.

One speed bump I had to undergo at the airport was to go through customs for a special inspection.  I think it's been three decades since that happened.  Mind you, I have nothing really to worry about.  The officer, a woman, who pulled  me to the side, appeared to have never met a walking monk, let alone a renunciate.  I answered her questions.

"I'm a monk who attends walking fests, like the ones I participated in, in Guyana and Trinidad.  I have pictures," I said, as I showed her those from my phone.  "Yes, I always wear these clothes (robes) except in a snow storm—then it's pants."  She laughed.  "I'm on a pension and get no salary.  I travel the world, sometimes on foot: Canada, four times and the U.S. once."

This was all new for her, hearing the sacred sound Krishna, so I saw it as an opportunity.  "I live in a monastery/ashram with a dozen other monks.  We have a fantastic restaurant downtown.  Please come."

I will miss the Caribbean vaishnavas.  Among them is Pateet, short for Patita Pavana, a former drummer who can make any funky sound with breath and hands.

Until next year.  Haribol!

May the Source be with you!
4 km


No comments: